Thursday, March 15, 2018

March - ups and downs

March has been tiring but fulfilling. And a month of awesome news!

We started the month with practice on the exam piano at Kawai Paragon. It didn't go very well as the air in the room was very still and it caused Clarisse's nose to bleed a little.

On 3rd, Clarisse attended the masterclass held by the principal of Staccato and she learned some new techniques although was really last minute. As the hub was traveling,  we had to take uber the entire day. It was also her first class at ICR Toa Payoh.

On 6th, I had a small scare when Miss Lim messaged me that Clarisse had nose bleed in class. Thankfully it was not very serious. In the evening, we went for the last piano class before the exams. And surprisingly Clarisse scored 123, which is a credit, for her mock exam.

The actual exam took place on 8th. She was excited to take the exam and not nervous. She had to leave school earlier after first half of the day. When I fetched her, Mdm Woo told me she is a good girl.

She said aural echoing was hard and she only got one out of three questions correct. Although I know that she might fail (based on Angeline and if the pink clothes and red packets did not take effect), I really wish she can pass so that her confidence won't be affected. Eagerly waiting for results by end March.

Her modern jazz exam took place on 9th. It was a nerve wrecking day for me as I had problems with uber and grab. In the end, we still managed to reach the school timely for her prep. I don't think she will do well as she forgot to follow the music in her individual dance. However, it is her first dance examination and her efforts in the 6 months of prep and courage are commendable. Hoping for at least a pass!

We visited the new library on 11th and I didn't expect she would cry by herself, thinking that I might lose my way when she waited for a short while as I went to apply her membership.

The one week break commenced on 12th. She made new friends and love her first drama experience at Act3. She wanted to be Charlotte and her wish came true. Although I had to practise the script with her everyday, she really worked hard to memorise her lines. She did well on the actual performance. She thoroughly enjoyed herself and asked for more in June and December holidays

She visited Sunshine Dental for the first time. Thankfully, there was no tooth decay. But there was quite alot of plaque. We learn the proper way of brushing. Good lesson! She started crying but managed to calm down and continue. I later found out that she misunderstood Dr Emma when she said the word, 'plaque'. She thought that her teeth will be plucked out! Haha!

When I suggested to visit a new music school for her piano lessons, she suddenly said she wanted to give up piano for violin. She was so adamant about it. I didn't want to push her much although I am sad deep in. I only wanted her to play at least one instrument that she enjoys. She went for trial lessons at Aureus academy and Asia music school. She prefers Aureus just because the male teacher gave her stickers. The lady teacher in her 50s at Asia Music school has a former way of teaching and we learn quite a lot in just half an hour. We learn the correct way of holding the violin, violin tuning, what a good violin is and played two pieces. At Aureus, we also learn the basic 4 notes in violin. I decided to hold on the switch and didn't think much about it.

I made a final decision for Clarisse to leave Staccato mainly over Teacher Jessica's last minute way of exam prep and the distance. Although Clarisse has managed to play with the changes as suggested by the principal, it doesn't reflect good on the teacher. She should have worked with Clarisse earlier. A tad sad to leave after 4 years. And also the school will be closing the Horse City branch.

I was unwell the week school reopens. After a sore throat, post nasal drip started. The cough was not serious and I thought it was not as bad as in last November. But my nose became runny for a few days and it worsened on 26th. Finally I took half a fedec tablet and as usual it was difficult to fall asleep although I was super drowsy. I felt restless with the aches the next day.

Clarisse started to have mild blocked nose then fever on 22nd after school. She could not sleep well and only woke me up at 5am on her blocked nose. She felt very tired on 22nd and fever took place. Luckily Pei brought lin yang over. Her fever was gone the next day. But she has lots of mucus in school.

Based on our symptoms, I guess we are having sinus infection. Hoping for speedy recovery!!

A wonderful piece of news came on 27th morning which brought tears of joy. Clarisse has a merit score of 122 for her Grade 1 piano. I was so overjoyed. The efforts and time invested had just paid off. It certainly boosts her confidence in herself and she believes that hard work and perseverance does reap good results now. A second piece came along in the afternoon. She excitedly told me that she is the Star Jieminite. I asked if is for March and she said it is. I thought that it might be for Term 1 and checked with her teacher via Tok Tok messaging. It is for the month of March. We are so proud of her! It is definitely a good way to motivate her and for her to remember in years to come.

She loves homecooked food than food outside, even for you mian. And she requested me to prepare food for her recess for the last week of March. I made rice with dark soya sauce pork and capsicum, fried cintan noodles and rice with tomato sauce eggs.

She cried a few times in school when her friend said she is not her friend but is not as bad as last year in Greentree.

She loves playing pieces from a new book from Staccato. And had requested to learn aria in f from her exam pieces. She was also learning the theme song from 'Lion King" and can play both hands as she practised on her own. And she can play Oh Susanna, London Bridge, Ten Little Indians and also Happy Birthday from the book.

On the 31st, we attended Shayne's birthday party. To our surprise, Clarisse started to serve food to the guests and fed Shayne and Chase. She had a wonderful time playing with the little ones.

Looking forward to a good April ahead! 😅

No comments: