I finally attended my first piano lesson last Saturday. It was actually scheduled on 2nd Feb, but my aunt reminded me that the teacher will be going back to Malaysia for CNY the following week. So I arranged for the make up class last Saturday....
I was excited and a little nervous last Friday... Hee! My aunt informed me on Friday evening that my cousin's piano lesson will be brought forward an hour earlier as the student before him could not make it for lessons. That means my lesson will also be brought forward an hour earlier - 11 am instead of 12 pm... Hmm...So I planned to get up at 8 am and leave the house at 9.30 am...
My teacher's place is at Jurong West, just opposite Jurong Point. I need to take the mrt to Jurong East, and subsequently board the train towards Boon Lay. As I have searched Streetdirectory.com for the location, I have a rough idea of getting there. There are some renovation works at Jurong Point and I had to go in the shopping centre and exit in order to get to Jurong West. It was a big detour. All went well and I reached my teacher's house at 10.40am...
I chatted with my aunt before my cousin finished his lessons at 11.30am. Finally it is my turn... We had our lessons at the balcony area. It is air-conditioned and quite comfortable... When I put my hand on the piano, I really felt unbelievable.... (",)
My teacher started some small talk with me. Her name is Wen Xin and she is a mother of 3. She asked if I wanted to learn piano for interest and to play songs or I wanted to take the challenge of taking exams. I told her I wanted to take exams/certifications. She told me she will teach me classical and some pop music and we shall see how to proceed...Wow!!!..My areas of interest...
So what I have learned in lesson 1:
- Nails preferably must be short (Lucky mine not very long..Hahahaha)
- Must sit straight, cannot slouch (Must get used to it!)
- Notes for the right and left hand (Got to memorize!!!)
- Counting
- Reading the notes on scores and "matching" them to the piano
- Play songs using separate hands and both hands (Very challenging for both hands)
My lesson ended in an hour. All went very well and it was really enjoyable. Teacher continued chatting with me after that. She taught music in a local music school after completed her A levels and took her diploma in music. She also took her honors in music from London School of Music and she lived in London for 3 years. She was lucky as she had her ROM and went to London with her then fiance. He was studying Engineering in another school. She had wanted to stay for another year in London for her Masters but decided not to as she wanted to return to Singapore for marriage....
Hmm... Now I have to practise on what I have learned.... Looking forward to the next lesson...Yippee!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment